Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Patriotic power protein parfait


Tomorrow morning you'll be starting up the BBQ, heading out to the beach, and ensuing in a day of celebrating our fine country. Before the fun begins you'll need a filling, body flattering, and patriotic breakfast to begin.

When my male friend told me he needed a protein suggestion because he was giving up meat for lent I introduced him to quinoa (keen-wah), and if you haven't had it yet be prepared to become best friends. It's a grain-like seed that is so simple to prepare (a few minutes in boiling water) and PACKED with amino acids, plus it's gluten-free. I usually make a huge batch at once and leave it in the fridge and use it as I need. The best thing is you can have it for every meal. Add some vinegar and chopped vegetables and you have a salad. Curry or pasta sauce can be added to be a substitute for rice or pasta. I'll admit one of my favorites though is breakfast quinoa.

Power protein parfait
Serves one

1/3 cup cooked quinoa
2 strawberries
1 cup of Greek yogurt
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds (just like chia seeds packed with omega-3s)
handful of blueberries
Agave/honey optional if you want to make it a little sweeter

1. Dice the strawberries and add into the quinoa along with the flaxseed and mix well.
2. Start layer yogurt on the bottom alternate with the quinoa.
3. Make sure the top layer is yogurt (I had 3 yogurt layers and 2 quinoa), and add the blueberries on top. There you have your own edible flag creation.

Happy early 4th to everyone! Please be safe and remember why we have this wonderful day off.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/9710801/?claim=uph3sufsjsu">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment