Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Egg in a Parmesan cup with mushrooms and asparagus




Making the mold.




I went to brunch at Cork Wine Bar a couple of weeks ago. Going to brunch at a wine bar is definitely not conventional, but the menu was really unique especially the entree I ordered. I was so fascinated by the cheese cup, and then I thought to myself I can make that. OK I really didn't think I could, but I like to prove to myself that I can really do it all. Class, work, 5 am yoga, and make gourmet (pushing it Avis) meals. Not as great as the one at Cork, which I highly recommend you all try (and order a side of the avocado toast with pistachio oil), but a pretty close reenactment. 

1 cup (more or less ) of grated Parmesan reggiano or pecorino romano
Big handful of mushrooms of your choice, I recommend oyster or baby shitake
5 or 6 asparagus stalks
2 eggs
Goat cheese (chèvre) optional

Cheese cups:
1. Split up the Parm/peco cheese and spread onto parchment paper two thinnish 6 inch circumstance circles of cheese (that looks funny, you get the point two circles of cheese). Add some dried parsley and basil on top. You'll want the cheese to be thin but not too thin, and the paper will go onto a baking sheet and into the oven at 375 F. I messed up on the first try, but I think the trick is to make sure the cheese isn't too thick and that it's slightly browned. Follow the explanation on this website for a clearer explanation.
2. The cheese will go in the oven for four minutes or so. You'll have to act quick and remove the tray when it's ready and allow the circles to cool for about a minute.
3. Use a thin spatula to carefully remove the circles and drap over the back side of a muffin tin (or another type of cup) to create the mold. You might need to push the sides of the cheese to properly create the shape.
4. Allow the cheese to cool and take up the bowl shape.


Then the filling:
1.  Blanch the asparagus and then cut into smaller segments.
2. Poach your egg. Refer to this other Avis recipe if you forgot how. I cook a little less than usual so the whites didn't quite set, but I wanted to properly fit the egg into the mold. Set the egg aside but keep warm if possible.
3. Slice the mushrooms and sauté with the asparagus using plenty of olive oil and any other spices and herbs that you'd like.
4. If you'd like to use goat cheese melt some in at the end with the vegetables. I opted out, the Parmesan was more than enough for me.
5. Carefully remove your cheese cups from the mold and add the vegetable mix into the cup.
6. Top with the egg and add more cheese and herbs.
7. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment