Monday, May 26, 2014

Ahi tuna watermelon radish and cucumber salad (lemonade inspired)



There are some cravings that will never go away. The sides from lemonade in LA make the cut. It used to only be the Beverly location, but now it's expanded even to the LAX airport. It's one of my favorite lunch spots in the city and tops my list of places to visit whenever I'm in town. I decided to make my own version of one of my favorites with ahi tuna and watermelon radish. I got lucky and found some great radishes at the farmer's market; if you're not familiar with them they have a beautiful colorful inside that really changes the look of a salad. The traditional recipe calls for snap peas, but I used some cucumbers instead and really liked the added crisp with the radishes.

Serves 1-2
1/4 lb. ahi tuna
2 watermelon radishes thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced cucumbers
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Lemon juice
Ginger
Rice vinegar
Olive oil
Sesame seeds

1. Marinate your ahi tuna in soy sauce, lemon juice, and sesame oil ideally for a few hours, but if you don't have the time a good 10 minutes should do.
2. Thinly slice your cucumbers and radishes. Mandolin would make it easier otherwise patience and a sharp knife.
3. Mix grated ginger, rice vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, and a little lemon juice together for your ginger dressing.
4. Sear your ahi tuna on a hot pan. A minute or two on each side leaving the middle raw.
5. Allow the ahi to cool and then cut into smaller pieces. Not too small but small enough to make for a small bite.
6. Mix tuna, cucumber, radish, and sesame seeds in a bowl.
7. Add the dressing to the mix distributing evenly.
8. Assemble on plate. I made a flat platform using extra radish and cucumber for the salad to sit on.

No comments:

Post a Comment