Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pitaya superfoods bowl





I almost paid $10 for a single pitaya in Chinatown a month ago, but my better judgment advised me otherwise. They're one of my favorite fruits, and I rarely come across them. Still deprived I was over the moon when I found them at my new favorite go-to market. Usually when we think of pitaya we think of that beautiful hot pink flesh on the inside, but there's three varieties including the more commonly found white flesh type. The color of this bowl isn't as vibrant as when you order a pitaya bowl/smoothie, but it still has that tart taste that I love.

Serves 1
1/2 pitaya flesh
Handful of frozen berries or any other fruit you want
1/4 cup of spinach
Coconut milk
Hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seed, shredded coconut, nuts to top

1. Throw everything except the toppings into a blender. If you want it to be chunkier try adding ice or frozen coconut water.
2. Mix up everything.
3. Put in a bowl to eat with a spoon or a glass with a straw. Top with whatever toppings you want.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try one of these! Waiting to find them on the cheaper side somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're one of my favorite fruits. Try 99 Ranch Market in Kearny Mesa or another Asian market.

      Delete