Thursday, July 11, 2013

Avocado Toast




The real deal
As I sat with my mom wishing we were spending the summer in NYC I reflected on one of my favorite meals from Cafe Gitane (although the couscous and eggplant are to die for): their famous avocado toast. Yes it seems very easy to make in fact I've gotten that reaction, but it's taken me awhile to perfect this recipe to what I think tastes as good as the real thing. What breakfast for me and my mom looked like to teleport us to the city that never sleeps.

Avocado is full of good fat and actually reduces belly fat. I hardly ever eat bread, I think it's a waste of calories. When I do though I eat Ezekiel sprouted bread because it's low in calories and has tons of protein and fiber that you're not going to get in ordinary bread. It's best to always have well-rounded meals of protein, fat, and carbs to keep your body fulled. Plus the Ezekiel bread is a little tougher so it can handle all the avocado.

Avocado toast
Serves two

Ingredients:
1.5 avocados
2 slices of toast (I use sprouted Ezekiel toast)
1/2 lemon's worth of juice
Olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes

1. Toast your bread. I prefer a darker toast as it is, but in this case it helps to hold all the avocado you're about to put on it.
2. Mash the avocados with a fork in a small bowl. I like to keep mine kinda chunky and squeeze the 1/2 lemon into the mix.
3. Spread the avocado generously on the toast. Add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and of course the famous final red pepper flake touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment