Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sequins in the office




Top- JCrew, collar- Eiman Hamza collection, flats- Salvatore Ferragamo, tote- Marc by Marc Jacobs, trousers- Massimo Dutti

Naturally sequins are associated with 70's costumes, New Year's Eve dresses, and Richard Simmons. I have a sick obsession with them though and try to incorporate them into as many evening outfits as possible. Then it dawned on me, do I have the balls to wear sequins to the office?

I like to kid myself and say that I work in a "creative" industry, but truth be told no matter how I slice and dice it the work atmosphere is generally conservative. I tend to push my bosses' buttons with my outfits. Not revealing too much skin or anything, but printed trousers and spiked headbands are a first for most of them.

How did I make this work in a professional setting? By balancing it out with an ulta conservative finish. Nothing screams conservative like the Varina Salvatore Ferragamo flat and a black pair of trousers. Note I hate most dress pants, but these ones have the greatest straight leg; my biggest regret is only buying two pairs. Also your sequins should be neutral shades to not draw too much attention to the fact that you resemble a disco ball.

Final note ladies, I can't emphasize dressing to impress even if it's to go to work where the same people see you everyday. (This outfit got me free macarons from one of my favorite spots, I'm just saying).

No comments:

Post a Comment