Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mexican corn




Beep beep, winter your ride is here. Why does it keep snowing, and will I ever remember what it's like to feel warmth? Dying of cabin fever (I don't handle snow days well) and dreaming of being on a sunny beach I decided to make something that reminds me of summer- Mexican corn. Grilled corn dipped in salt water was also a staple for summer BBQs that's the Persian way to do it, and for some time I thought that was the only way to eat corn. Perks of growing up in a FOB house. If I'm going to go with something more elaborate on my corn I want cotija and lime please. Nothing beats summers spent at Cafe Habana with plenty of guac and ceviche and of course their Mexican corn. Those sunny days seem like they may never come again so in the mean time I decided to make a healthy version of it.

I was relatively surprised at how good a broiler can grill corn, and even though corn is not in season I found some at Whole Foods. I'm going to pretend it didn't come from some weird source. Cotija cheese was another struggle, it's not quite like LA out here where every market has a decent international section (my personal quest for Za'atar is a whole different story). The "healthy" part of the corn is swapping mayo/sour cream for non-fat Greek yogurt, but it doesn't take away from how awesome this recipe is. Sunshine, I miss you.

Serves one
1 ear of corn
1/2 lime
Crumble cotija cheese (just chopped finely will get the effect)
Cayenne pepper
1.5 tablespoons Greek yogurt
Chopped cilantro

1. Spray your corn with coconut oil spray and place beneath the broiler. 6-7 minutes on a side, you'll want to keep rotating the corn. You'll notice that kernels start to turn darker that's the right time to turn to another side.
2. While you're roasting your corn mix some of the lime juice, Greek yogurt, cilantro, and pepper.
3. Once your corn is done cover it with the yogurt mix.
4. Roll your corn in the cheese as much as you'd like. Add more pepper and the remaining lime juice.
5. Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment